1/8 scale question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Johnstone

Hi, just wondering if someone would be able to tell me the overall height of a 1/8 scale boat, from the underside of lowest part (rudder / turn fin) to the top of the highest part (cowl / wing), approx size will be fine. I do realize that there will be numerous sizes, just after a guide. Thanks

That is really a tough question since, depending on the boat and builder preferences, rudders and turn fins can be anywhere from 2" to 6" long. To make it even harder, there are boats that have tall verticals and some that don't have any verticals at all. Cowls come in several heights as well, considering you have the very low cowl on the Lauterbach Special to the much higher turbine intakes used on the modern boats. I'm sure many, me included, are wondering why you ask. Knowing the basis behind the question may let us help you more than trying to throw out approximate numbers and hoping they help.

Wayne, the MHR gives hull length, depth, width, afterplane, tunnel and picklefork dimensions. There isn't any listing on height from deepest to to highest points. There isn't even a depth given for the sponsons so, in this case, I don't think the MHR will be of much help

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replys, I am looking at possibly building a trailer to store and transport my boats. I was after a rough size to try and work out shelf spacing. At a guess, I would assume that the 96 Pico American would be the tallest boat I will be building

I would plan on no less than 12" of height per boat to allow room for the boat AND STARTING BUNK while leaving room so that the boat can be pulled off the shelf without being lifted into the shelf above

I was working on allowing around 14 inches to allow me plenty of room to load and unload etc. So that should be more than enough. Thanks for the info hydro

Wayne, make the height opening at least 16", with the boat on a stand you will need some slop space to get them in . See pics of my trailer, it holds at least 6 full size boats, plus my rack that is mobile that can carry an additional 3. I cut a 4 x 8 piece of 1/4" peg board in half, framed it with 2 x 2, my boats fit "in" to stop from just sliding out, I also bungi cord them 2 times.

Nice trailer Joe. Are you a member of the spackle bucket gang also? Hammer and Nails would be proud to have ya

Nice trailer Joe. Are you a member of the spackle bucket gang also? Hammer and Nails would be proud to have ya
Mike, no, I design them, not build them, unless its a personal home project, I also have a few "buckets" filled with ice fishing rods, tent stakes ect....

2011 I switched to cat liter containers with a flip lid.

thanks for looking.

Oh yea, Tom, Ive traveled to many races, I just sold a scale to Ray (Hammer) in Charleston this past fall, Don Ferrette, Bob Morton, Dick Tyndall, known them for years.

Wayne,

Yes, 16" would be a minimum, here's a shot of one of my boat racks in the shop, the Miller shelf is 17" which gives enough room while sitting on the start stand. A little extra room cuts down on the hangar (dock) rash.

gh

DSC_0033.JPG

Thanks for the photo Greg. What are the dimensions of the shelving in the picture (length & width) if you don't mind me asking?

Wayne, the rack is 48" wide by 24" deep and the shelves can be placed in mulitple places. I bought the racks at lowes and theyre very sturdy it comes with the self boards and all.

gh

Latest posts

Back