1/8 SCALE MOTOR POSITION

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

I am currently in the middle of restoring a 1/8 scale 1973 PAY-N-PAK. It is a wood hull. I have two questions for right now.

1. The motor mount center line now sits 1" in front of the trailing edge of the sponsons. Is this correct or should I at this time position it back some? I notice on other scale hulls of similar design that the motor mount center line is the same as the trailing edge of the sponsons.

2. What is a good rule of thumb when positioning the turn fin? Is it in line with the outer edge of the riding surface of the sponson or in from that line?

I want to get everything correct now, so I don't have to go back and change things after getting further along.

I am currently in the middle of restoring a 1/8 scale 1973 PAY-N-PAK. It is a wood hull. I have two questions for right now.

1. The motor mount center line now sits 1" in front of the trailing edge of the sponsons. Is this correct or should I at this time position it back some? I notice on other scale hulls of similar design that the motor mount center line is the same as the trailing edge of the sponsons.

2. What is a good rule of thumb when positioning the turn fin? Is it in line with the outer edge of the riding surface of the sponson or in from that line?

I want to get everything correct now, so I don't have to go back and change things after getting further along.
I believe if I remember correctly that a good starting point is to have your flywheel right at about the center of gravity of the hull. The way you're describing the mount, you should be ok as a starting point. You other guys should chime in on this. I haven't ran or raced in a while. Just getting back into it.

"The motor mount center line now sits 1" in front of the trailing edge of the sponsons"

That sounds about right, even a little further forward wouldn't hurt either. Scale hulls are typically tail heavy anyway so weight up front is a good thing. Alot of other factors will play into the final set up & balance of the boat but I wouldn't want to see the motor any farther back. B)

As for the turn fin in line with the outer edge of ride pad, that will work fine, just be sure it is absolutely dead parallel with the running surface. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. As I said, Iwant to be sure now before I get too far along. I will try to post some pics when I figure out how.

I also agree with Don an engine placement..I have mine where the center of the flywheel is at the trailing edge of the sponson..He's also right on with the turnfin placement...

Back