1/8 scale hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you haven't installed the deck yet, I'd glass in a piece plywood on each side of the bottom and run screws through them. After this, make a pair of brackets and fasten them with nuts on the screws. Next, at the locations of the brackets, reinforce the deck and cut a slot on each side of the deck and then install the deck. At this point, you're ready to install the tails on the brackets. Reinforce the inside of the tails and drill through them and the brackets, tap the holes in the brackets and secure the tails with nylon screws.

Hi Mr. Hooks Sr., I would epoxy in some aluminum angles at the center line locations of the verticals. The flat angle section epoxies up against the inside of the deck leaving a protruding section up through the deck. When I rebuilt the smokin joes tail section to incorporate removeable wings, I cut slots in the deck. Made up 2-1/16" thick angle aluminum pieces about 3" long and poured some 3 hour epoxy glue into the hull. Some glue on the roughened up aluminum angle (with holes in it too, for glue penetration) and inserted the angle pieces. Hold them in place and use thick CA glue to fill the gap. Then turned the hull over to allow the glue to fall on the angle aluminum pieces inside the hull and dry overnite. Cut slots in your vertical wings and as HJ says tap the aluminum to 6/32 after drilling through the inside of the verticals from the inside to the aluminum angle. Do not drill through to the outside of the verticals for a cleaner look. I used 6/32 nylon screws to hold the verticals and also provide an easy break-away if the wings are hit. The horizontal wing is held in place with 4/40 capscrews drilled through the verticals and into solid epoxy and hardwood on the ends of the wing or even better, an aluminum plate fixed into the horizontal wings and then tapped 4/40. The bracing from the hull to the verticals then ties it all together and keeps the assembly secure. I use ball links on one end at the hull in case of an accident or incident. Hopefully the pics will help......

med_gallery_128_798_89047.jpg

med_gallery_128_798_86873.jpg

med_gallery_128_798_118986.jpg

Let me know if you need more pics, as I can remove the wings and get better pics of the vertical mounts.....

med_gallery_128_798_198889.jpg

This shot shows the 4/40 capscrews through the verticals and into the horizontal......nylon screws do not go through all the way from the inside of the verticals. Its very solid even without the bracing.

Latest posts

Back