1/8 Hydro??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I have enjoyed the last 3 weeks reading posts and getting up to speed.

I have 2 Vegas RTR hyros now and have been thinking of trying to build a 1/8 Hydro.

Any tips on a good kit for a Newbie to cut his teeth in?

Thanks

Chad

Hey guys I have enjoyed the last 3 weeks reading posts and getting up to speed.I have 2 Vegas RTR hyros now and have been thinking of trying to build a 1/8 Hydro.

Thanks

Chad
Hi Chad....to the best of my knowledge as far as an 1/8th scale wood KIT goes, I believe that Dumas is still producing the Circus Circus hydro, and i think that they run pretty well....if there is someone else who makes wood kits of 1/8th scale boats, im not aware of them..HOWEVER, Newton Marine sells plans for all kinds of 1/8th scale hulls for folks who like to scratch build from wood......AND there are several people who sell fiberglass hulls.....I have a couple of RC MARINE DESIGN boats made by Phil Thomas and they are VERY easy and straight forward to put together and they run really good right off the board IF you follow Phils instructions...no matter what kind of hull you decide to build, prepare to be patient with the building part as scale boats are a bit of a challenge to build if you want a nice lookin boat when your finished, but it is well worth the effort! Good Luck! Bill

Hey guys I have enjoyed the last 3 weeks reading posts and getting up to speed.I have 2 Vegas RTR hyros now and have been thinking of trying to build a 1/8 Hydro.

Thanks

Chad
I don't how it works in other parts of the country, but in UNW and RCU the first thing to check out is what registrations are available. I don't how many times I have seen new guys show up with some boat they bought off ebay only to discover that the registration has already been taken. You would find that this is especially true for 8255 wingless hulls and some other of the more popular registrations. It also nice to pick a boat that the graphics are already available for. The cost is much less that way, rather than paying for the art work on new graphics. If you are talking a real heat racing boat, the simpler and more easily repairable paint jobs are a good choice. They do take a lickin' from time to time.

the 1985 miller american and atlas van lines, from dumas, are nice hulls

to build, with a few minor tweeks to them they are plenty fast and stable

you can find them on ebay from time to time

good luck!

norm j

fmbc

glmbc

Thanks

Chad
I don't how it works in other parts of the country, but in UNW and RCU the first thing to check out is what registrations are available. I don't how many times I have seen new guys show up with some boat they bought off ebay only to discover that the registration has already been taken. You would find that this is especially true for 8255 wingless hulls and some other of the more popular registrations. It also nice to pick a boat that the graphics are already available for. The cost is much less that way, rather than paying for the art work on new graphics. If you are talking a real heat racing boat, the simpler and more easily repairable paint jobs are a good choice. They do take a lickin' from time to time.
I am planning on just building this for me not to compete with, so what I chose to model it after won't be an issue, I race electric dirt oval in the winter so I get my fix for racing there, I was going to race off road this summer but got thinking about boating.

As far as building supplies needed what should I have for tools? Got a table saw sanders and a band saw anything else that is a must have?

Thanks to all so far with the input , up to this point all I have ever built for boat was a MRP Foutain and a Kyosho hydro about 10+ years ago

Chad Cutsforth

Thanks

Chad
I am planning on just building this for me not to compete with, so what I chose to model it after won't be an issue, I race electric dirt oval in the winter so I get my fix for racing there, I was going to race off road this summer but got thinking about boating.

As far as building supplies needed what should I have for tools? Got a table saw sanders and a band saw anything else that is a must have?

Thanks to all so far with the input , up to this point all I have ever built for boat was a MRP Foutain and a Kyosho hydro about 10+ years ago

Chad Cutsforth
Chad, Since you're not planning on racing in the 1/8 scale class you have more options. Sport hydros do not have all the detail or expensive paint jobs (uasually). And if you can do without the nitro motor zippkits.com makes a easy to build wood round nose Hydro for the less expensive 26 cc gas motors. Just finishing up one now. Or better yet just buy Bill Gibsons Pay&Pak woodie-ALL THE HARD WORK IS ALREADY DONE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glenn Gates

Thanks

Chad

Chad Cutsforth
Chad, Since you're not planning on racing in the 1/8 scale class you have more options. Sport hydros do not have all the detail or expensive paint jobs (uasually). And if you can do without the nitro motor zippkits.com makes a easy to build wood round nose Hydro for the less expensive 26 cc gas motors. Just finishing up one now. Or better yet just buy Bill Gibsons Pay&Pak woodie-ALL THE HARD WORK IS ALREADY DONE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glenn Gates
Better get serious before Bill comes to Utah and thumps me. You can still find the Dumas wood kits on e-bay from time to time but all will need some modifications to run/ride properly. I built one of their Pay&Pak wood kits last winter($59.00 on e-bay)stuffed a .80 motor in it and cut the sponsons down and it's a fun boat to run. Much better than the Dumas Atlas van lines kit I did by the instructions many years ago. A couple people on this forum that were a big help to me were Bill Gibson and Hydro Junkie. Glenn

Did someone call me? Dumas kits can be made to run well, but they do take some changing to do so. I would go with the Atlas kit for a first time builder. I have a Circus Circus kit and just reading the instructions gives me a headache on how they want you to build the darn thing. I'm going to build two boats with it, one with stock wood and a second with all aircraft ply, integrating all the changes I normally tell others to make so I can do a build thread on it. If you do build one, BEFORE YOU GLUE ANYTHING TOGETHER, ASK QUESTIONS

Thanks

Chad

Chad Cutsforth

Glenn Gates
Better get serious before Bill comes to Utah and thumps me. You can still find the Dumas wood kits on e-bay from time to time but all will need some modifications to run/ride properly. I built one of their Pay&Pak wood kits last winter($59.00 on e-bay)stuffed a .80 motor in it and cut the sponsons down and it's a fun boat to run. Much better than the Dumas Atlas van lines kit I did by the instructions many years ago. A couple people on this forum that were a big help to me were Bill Gibson and Hydro Junkie. Glenn
MAN! I would NEVER thump a fellow hydro NUT!!! But if i have it my way the PAK (if i EVER get it done!) will go to the grave with me :p :p ! You know what is kinda cool is that as much as i love to race boats, it great to know that there are still folks that also like to run boats just for fun!! What are you workin on these days? I know your buildin SOMETHIN! Bill

Did someone call me? Dumas kits can be made to run well, but they do take some changing to do so. I would go with the Atlas kit for a first time builder. I have a Circus Circus kit and just reading the instructions gives me a headache on how they want you to build the darn thing. I'm going to build two boats with it, one with stock wood and a second with all aircraft ply, integrating all the changes I normally tell others to make so I can do a build thread on it. If you do build one, BEFORE YOU GLUE ANYTHING TOGETHER, ASK QUESTIONS

Hydro Junkie, its cool to know that someone else has built a bunch of Dumas boats..im sure we could trade some stories!! The first boat i ever built was the little Hot Shot full bow tunnel.....man i had a ball with that thing! I Wonder how many people got hooked on this insane hobby because of a Dumas boat!!

I Wonder how many people got hooked on this insane hobby because of a Dumas boat!!

I did. First boat was the Dumas 36" Atlas. Put a Webra marine 40 in it (1988 rookie year boating). Built several Dumas hulls and currently have a PAY N PAK 1/8 scale and just got my 1988 Miller high life (Dumas Circus Circus Kit) in the water last week.

I Wonder how many people got hooked on this insane hobby because of a Dumas boat!!

I did. First boat was the Dumas 36" Atlas. Put a Webra marine 40 in it (1988 rookie year boating). Built several Dumas hulls and currently have a PAY N PAK 1/8 scale and just got my 1988 Miller high life (Dumas Circus Circus Kit) in the water last week.
I had a U-76 Atlas with the same motor...nice runnin little mill.... started easy and always ran!

CHAD! I negleted to mention Blazer Boats for wood kits! He doesnt presently offer an 1/8 scale boat (i wish he did!) BUT he does have a sport 20, 40, and a gas hydro kit AND a gas thunderboat and his kits are BEAUTIFUL! I built his 20 Whiplash kit and it was by far the NICEST wood boat that ive ever built...all lazer cut parts and they fit GREAT! Great prices too! If he ever produces an 1/8th scale hydro kit, i WILL own it! Just another possible option.....Bill

Thanks

Chad

Chad Cutsforth

Glenn Gates
MAN! I would NEVER thump a fellow hydro NUT!!! But if i have it my way the PAK (if i EVER get it done!) will go to the grave with me :p :p ! You know what is kinda cool is that as much as i love to race boats, it great to know that there are still folks that also like to run boats just for fun!! What are you workin on these days? I know your buildin SOMETHIN! Bill
Hi Bill, Only got a few hours work to finish the Zippkit Gas hydro-then on to assembeling the Velasco nitro sport 80-then on to finally finishing the Aeromarine gas cat. Also bought a NICE turn key scale( I know , It's like cheating buying a turn key scale- but I told you before I really do not have the patients nor the time for those many hours of detail work. Glenn

My first boat was the 30" Pak kit, built it with nothing but Exacto knives and a sanding block. Never got it to run right, might have been the enimic HB .20 I bought for it. That was followed by the 36" Blue Blaster kit, after which I found out the boat was monsterously overweight for it's size. I graduated up to a 3/8th's power drill and sanding disc to build that one, along with my Xacto knives. They were many boats ago, and now I'm looking at a Circus kit that I bought last winter. I must be crazy to do another one, but at least I learned where to make changes with the first two and helping others build their boats

Last edited by a moderator:
I am someone from the other side of the world, only running boats for fun as we have no formal racing here, for having not build any new boats for over 7 years since 2002 and trying to going back to the model world, I have just finished a Zippkit Rockett, they are easy and great to build, am putting an old J&G 25 (and/or a Zenoah 26) gas engine into it, may be this or next weekend I can put it into the water.

For 1/8th scale I am working on a 'Smokin' Joe" using Newton's plan and using RCboat Model's cowlings, it is half way upto the deck level now, planning to put FE into it, the process is fun but hard work for doing it from scratch, I am using marine plywood and the wood costs more than a kit.

GP

i agree with gilbert, get yourself a zippkits rockett or rivett kit. classic rd nose hull, gas power. basically a jones round bow hull, low parts count, accurate parts fit, easy assembly and excellent instruction manual. kit includes all wood parts and pre-cut bottom and deck sheeting, epoxy glass cowl / hatch, stainless turn fin with bracket and mount hardware. the dropped sponson rockett deck sheeting is easier to install than the rivett conventional hull decking. 1/8 scale jones cowlings from mike schindler, phil thomas or john borden will give it a little more realistic unlimited class scale appearance, imo. however, the kit cowl / hatch looks and works fine. 47.5in long x 22in wide

see pics of various zippkits builds on jrcbd.com in the project builds and thunderboat registry sections.

zippkits.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back