IMPBA Rules Clarification

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

I've been trying to figure this out with someone else, to no avail. Per the IMPBA rules, as I read them, the boat is not legal for racing in an IMPBA sanctioned event. The owner want's to race at these events so we leave this to the rules gurus. Here is what I have determined:

1) The boat just fits into the sizes listed in the Master Hull Roster, so it's legal in scale

2) The boat has tiplets that were not on the prototype so it's not legal in scale

3) The boat has a gas engine so it's not legal in scale

4) The boat has it's strut under the hull but the drive dog might not be so it's borderline in scale and unknown in gas sport hydro

5) The boat has shoes on the rear of the nontrips so it's not legal for gas sport hydro

Now comes the questions:

1) Do the shoes have to be removed to make this boat legal in gas sport hydro?

2) Where does the strut need to be mounted, through the bottom or can it be mounted on the outside of the transom? The rules say nothing except in scale, which this boat obviously cannot be run in

Okay rules guru's, am I right, this is just a play boat or can it be raced legally?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not the first one to ask this question but yes the rear shoes have to come off to run in gas sport hydro, strut location is fine in GSH class. B)

WOW, I never expected such a fast reply. So the strut can be mounted in either place and be legal for racing as long as the shoes are removed as well. Thanks Don for the clarification

WOW, I never expected such a fast reply. So the strut can be mounted in either place and be legal for racing as long as the shoes are removed as well. Thanks Don for the clarification
put the strut where you want and get the band saw out. BUT be prepared to be SMOKED by lots of better suited Sport Hydros.

They used to let one run with the other sport hydros in a couple of the local races. I guess it pretty much came down to the CD allowing it. Like another person already mentioned, the boat is not real competetive when compared to some of the other offerings...so it is not like it has an unfair advantage...

Sean

RTR Gas?Throw all of the Pro Boats, Aquacraft's, Chinese and other gas RTR's all in one class. Warehouse Hobbies will then blow them all away with their RTR boat. :D

Back